Substance Use Disorder Counseling

Apply for an Advanced Substance Use Disorder Counselor License (Utah Certified Substance Use Disorder Counselor Applicants)

Military Resources: If you are a military member or military spouse, please review our Military Resources page before applying.

If applying for Initial Licensure, in addition to the items required for all applicants, you must submit:

  • Supervised Experience. NOTE: Each supervisor must complete the form for the hours they supervised and the hours from all supervisors must total 500.
  • Official score report of passing the NAADAC - NCE Level II, MAC, or AADC – IC&RC, please see the exam section of our website for additional information.
  • Documentation of meeting the education requirements, which include ONE of the following:
    • Official transcripts documenting completion of a bachelor’s degree, or higher, from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning in substance use disorders, addiction, social work, mental health counseling, marriage and family counseling, or psychology.
    • Official transcripts documenting completion of two academic years of study in a master’s of addiction counseling curriculum and practicum approved by the National Addictions Studies Accreditation Commission.
    • Current certification in good standing as a National Certified Addiction Counselor Level II (NCAC II) from the National Certification Commission for Addiction Professionals (NCC AP) OR current certification as an Advanced Alcohol & Drug Counselor (AADC), from the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium.
Apply Online