Apply for a Specialty Contractor License

Military Resources: If you are a military member or military spouse, please review our Military Resources page before applying.

If you are currently licensed as an Contractor in a state, territory, or district of the United States you may qualify for licensure by endorsement. Click here for additional information.

The following requirements must be met:

  • Find your desired Specialty Contractor License Classification(s). Click here for a list of the available Specialty Contractor Classifications and the description of each scope of practice .
  • Pre-License Course. You must already have completed a pre license course from Associated Builders and Contractors Inc (ABC), Utah Home Builders Association (UHBA), or Associated General Contractors of Utah (AGC). Specialty contractors require a 25-hour pre-licensure course. All general contractors (E100, R100, B100), plumbing and electrical contractors require a 30-hour pre-licensure course (unless you took the pre-licensure course BEFORE October 1, 2019 in which case you do not need the extra 5 hours) Click Here for course info . Temporary Policy Regarding (25 or 30 hour) Pre-licensure Course. How do I satisfy the pre licensure course requirement with the COVID-19? Click Here
  • General Liability Insurance Certificate. You must have obtained a general liability insurance certificate with minimum required coverage of $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 in total that covers and where DOPL is listed as certificate holder.
  • Registered your business entity. If you are a corporation, LLC, LLP, or partnership, have you registered your business with the Utah Division of Corporations. Apply at
  • Obtained Federal EIN. You must have obtained an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service. Apply for EIN at . If you are a sole proprietor and are using your own SSN, click Yes.
  • If you have employees, you MUST:
    • Have obtained a certificate of workers compensation insurance with DOPL as certificate holder.
    • Have obtained a state withholding tax registration from the Utah State Tax Commission.
    • Have obtained an unemployment registration from the Utah Department of Workforce Services.
  • If you do NOT have employees, you MUST:
    • Have obtained a Workers Compensation Coverage Waiver from the Utah Labor Commission.
Download Contractor Application Form